Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Styrofoam and the Consistency of Christ

So, there are 2 deacons in my church I feel like I might be causing problems for.  You see, they are married, and often serve and set up communion on the same sundays.  I prefer my communion stuff to be set before the service.  It is hard for me to play the piano during communion, and take communion.  My church pianist growing up was able to, but I'm not convinced she wasn't a super hero.  But, I digress.  Catherine will usually put out one of the those styrofoam wafer thingies with my grape juice.  Don, knowing I don't care for styrofoam, will come behind and swap it out for the little crackers.  (And he usually gives me 3 or 4 crackers.  Woohoo!)
Now, I know the communion has nothing to do with which form of bread I prefer.  That is not what it is about.  I just can't imagine that the body of Christ is styrofoam.  I cannot make that leap.  So, this sweet couple has to do double duty.
Strange how we let the little things that have no effect on God, or our relationship with him, get us worked up.  We will draw our line in the sand at some of the most ridiculous points, and then get really confused when God doesn't back us up.  This is a hard place to be because we know that we are supposed to stand strong on some things, we just don't usually have a clue which things.
I don't really have any advice or deeps thoughts on this.  What I do know is that the true consistency of Christ is love.  What was always most obvious and where He stood, was love.  So maybe that should be where we stand.  Our line in the sand should be love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment