Tuesday, January 18, 2011

One more reason Wal-Mart is evil

I had to pick up sandwhich meat yesterday at Wal-Mart.  I roll through the self check-out line.  I have a total of 4 items.  I paid in cash, with exact coin change.  So, I was through it pretty quick.  But, the moment my transaction was finished, before I could grab my change and put it away, get my receipt, or my bag o' goodies, the guy behind me tried to step in front of my to start scanning his items.  I had to politely ask him to step back so I could take the 20 necessary seconds to gather all my things before he started his transaction.  The look on his face made me wonder if I had instead asked him to kick the old lady behind him in the face.  I was able to leave with everything, but was pretty frustrated.  It really was only 20 more seconds.  If he didn't have that time, then he didn't have the time to be shopping at Wal-Mart.  If being 20 seconds late to whatever he had next was such a big problem, then he should have punched me and started his transaction before I could start mine.
What stood out to more to me than anything though is that all of do this in some way or another all the time.  We immediately rush into a situation or conversation with our own plans and ideas.  We don't take a breath to see what is actually going on, or to even see if it is our place to be there yet.  I think sometimes people come looking for Jesus, and we rush in to fix their lives before they can even say "no thanks."
All I needed at the store yesterday was 20 seconds.  How long do the people around us need before we bust into their lives to save what they are already dealing with?

No comments:

Post a Comment