Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Vines and Branches and Why I Kill Every Plant I Own

I really have killed every plant I've ever owned.  You know that bambo you can buy in the Mall of Abilene?  Yeah, killed that before.  Killed it multiple times (multiple plants, not the same plant over and over.  That would be impressive though).  I even took Plant Biology in college, and took the lab twice (I'm not a science person).  I understand why they die.  I just can't seem to do anything to keep them alive.  I could never be a farmer's wife, we'd starve.
Strangely enough though, I'm really wrapped in Jesus' description of the vine and branches.  Let's look at just a section of this great passage out of John 15:

5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. 9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.
I really love this passage.  That may seem confusing considering how I relate to plants.  But reread that.  I'm not the vine.  I'm not the one who produces fruit, I'm not the one that nourishes the plant, all I, the branch, have to do is stay connected to the vine.  I have to stay in relationship with the one that provides me life.  Now, I understand that staying in a vibrant, obedient relationship with Jesus is not always easy.  Sometimes it may even be the hardest option available.  But, when it comes down to it, it is far easier than trying to be the vine myself.  I kill plants.  If I were the vine, we'd all be in trouble.  But I'm not the vine.  Jesus is.  The one who was God, but became man; the one who conquered death; the one who provides us with life is the vine.  More than that, Jesus tells us that when we remain in Him, we won't just be alive.  We'll bear much fruit.  We'll grow.  We'll change.  We'll be abundant, and live abundantly.  It's not the easiest, but it is the best.
So, remain in His love.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad I'm not the vine either! "Stay in the vine" is my go to response for everything lately! It's about to make a second appearance on my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete