Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thoughts On Musical Terrorism

My BFF Evita, better known as Twin, and I have a game.  It is called musical terrorism.  The goal is to get the most annoying song stuck in the other person's head.  There is an art form to this.  The first and most obvious challenge is to not get the same song stuck in your head.  Second, you have to choose your technique.  I am the master of mass attacks: run in the room, sing a line or two, and run out.  Twin on the other hand is the queen of the subtle conversational tactic.  You'll be talking and trying to remember someone's name.  She'll say "She was a small town girl, right? She was living in a lonely world?  Did she ride trains?"  And bam.  You've been musical terrorized. 
I started a new battle Sunday.  I had heard "Eye of the Tiger" five different times Sunday, and I wanted to share.  It's been non-stop attacks since.  We are actually paranoid to check texts or answer the phone.  At the same time, I have the perfect song if I can just beat her to it.  She's currently ahead, only because she figured out how to use technology against me.
This had me thinking this morning.  What if we did the same thing with the Word of God?  So often we go to each other needing advice, comfort, someone to celebrate with, or someone to mourn with.  Instead of going to scripture, that we know to be powerful, we offer up cliches and worldly advice.  2 Timothy 3:16 says "All scripture is God-breathed, and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness."  I love the word "useful" in that verse.  Scripture is useful for us.
Now the challenge here is that we must know the Word of God to speak it.  This takes time and effort in reading and memorizing.  It may be hard, but it is useful.
So, I'm going first.  To my friends who are either in their second weekend of a show, or those who open a show this weekend: Psalm 62:1-2 "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."

And Twin, if you are reading this, I love you.  Please don't break my heart, my achy breaky heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment