Thursday, October 28, 2010

How Josh Groban Makes Me A Better Person

This list could get very long.  I really love Josh Groban's music.  As I listen to the pre-releases of songs off of Illuminations, I just fall in love more.  Not only is his voice and instrumental ability phenomenal, the lyrics are so powerful.  And he's cute.  So yeah, I love me some Josh Groban.
But that is not necessarily how he makes me a better person.  Something occurred to me today throughout the course of a few different conversations.  It finally clicked personally for me while listening to Higher Window, so I'm giving Josh some credit.  It should probably mostly (all) go to the Holy Spirit, but that would be too rational for me. :)
Something I have been doing regularly over that past few weeks is listening to the songs available off of Illuminations, and looking up lyrics, and reading reviews and interviews, and stalking Josh's Facebook and website.  And this isn't just when I'm bored.  I am really excited about the new album, so I am going out of my way to know as much as I can, to experience as much as I can and just generally focusing on anything little thing I can find about Josh and Illuminations.  It has become a priority to me, so I do it.
With the youth and in adult Bible study around BHCC, we've spent ALOT of time lately talking about making a conscious choice to have a personal, vibrant relationship with Jesus.  What does that mean?  What does that look like?  How do we actually do that?  It has been some great discussion!  And it always comes back to making the choice to do it.  But what I realized today while cyber-stalking Josh was that it goes beyond liking Jesus or His teachings and choosing to continue to accept that.  It goes beyond even choosing to believe.  After the choice, you have to do something.  How many people like Josh Groban but don't even know that 3 songs have already been released from Illuminations and can be heard free on Soundcloud?
The choice is vital.  It will never start without the choice.  But it doesn't end at the choice.  The choice to persue a vibrant relationship with Jesus is the catalyst that leads to action.  I think that action is the response to His great love and grace.  But that is another blog.  Today, Josh showed me that the choice should always lead to action. 
So, instead of only reading my bible early in the day or when I'm preparing a lesson, instead of only praying at the beginning and end of the day or when I'm more than mildly concerned the high schoolers want to kill the middle schoolers, instead of only seeking God's will when I'm confused, I'm going to do all of that as regularly as I stalk Josh Groban this next week.  The choice to love Him was vital, but I'm betting these actions will bring about more joy in Jesus than that choice ever has!
Thanks Josh Groban.  You continue to rock our worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment