Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Favorite Baptist

Andy Crockett is my favorite Baptist.  I should actually say  bassptist.  If you don't know what that means, shame on you.  I'm pretty sure they settled that term at the last convention.
Now that you know he's my favorite Baptist, let me tell you why.  Anytime I'm in a service with him that feels more Baptist than DOC, he gets me in trouble.  He laughs.  He giggles.  He mocks the people playing Bible Trivia on their iPads during the sermon.  He will argue with me about whether the wafer is the correct consistency to be the body of Christ.  I just enjoy being in worship with him.  I'm pretty sure this has been going on since middle school.  The only difference is his snarky comments have gotten wittier and more full of theology.
The really crazy part, is I've never felt like it was ever irreverent.  He genuinely loves God, and worships in truth.  I think Andy just gets that God rejoices in our joy, and laughs along with us when we are acting silly.  So, Andy is joyful and silly.
And gets me in trouble with all the other youth ministers.

No comments:

Post a Comment